This article engages with political region building by examining the diverging conceptions of the Baltic Sea region since the 1970s. It maps the fuzzy geography arising from the enmeshment of territory with a multitude of frameworks for regional action. After 1989, the region became the object of interregional and neighborhood policies established by the European Union, with shifting territorial delimitations according to various internal and geopolitical needs of the day.
- Would you like to contribute to Baltic Worlds?
- Spring edition 2018. Special Issue on Romani Studies: Roma in the Balkan area: past, present and future. Please download cfp.
- Follow us on Facebook!
Download back issue of Baltic WorldsLooking for back issues of Baltic Worlds? Download as PDF here.
- Please read and download reviewer guidelines!
Next issue appears in March 2017.
Articles written by
+ Henrik Stenius, Mirja Österberg, and Johan Östling (eds.), Nordic Narratives of the Second World War: National Historiographies Revisited, Lund 2011: Nordic Academic Press, 173 pagesBy Norbert Götz Inga kommentarer till Guilt and morality
- Baltic Worlds covers; the Baltic Sea Region, Eastern Europe, Russia, Caucasus and the Balkan area.
Articles listed by country you find here.>>
- BACKLASH IN THE EAST Baltic Worlds publishes comments and opinions on the recent situation in Poland concerning the abortion ban!
Read the comments here.>>
- Baltic Worlds Election Coverage!
Elections in over 20 different countries are covered here.>>
East and Central European History Writing in Exile 1939–1989, Editors: Maria Zadencka, Andrejs Plakans, Andreas Lawaty Brill Rodopi: 2015, 433 pages.
The Barents Region: A Transnational History of Subarctic Northern Europe, Chief editor Lars Elenius. PaxForlag, Oslo, 2015, 518 pages.
Gendered voices from East-Central Europe. Breaking out of the deadlock of neoliberalism vs. rightwing populism
Solidarity in Struggle: Feminist Perspectives on Neo-liberalism in East-Central Europe, EszterKováts (ed.), Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, 2016,115 pages
Kalle Kniivilä, Sovjets barnbarn: Ryssarna i Baltikum. [The grandchildren of the Soviet Union: The Russians in the Baltic states] Atlas 2016. 320 pages
Jukka Gronow and Sergey Zhuravlev, Fashion Meets Socialism, Fashion Industry in the Soviet Union after the Second World War Helsinki: Finnish Literature Society, 2015 303 pages
- All reviews